This week’s viewing ended up being a real train wreck.
I just started working on another feature film called The Darker Path. It’s another shoot with a six day work week. Granted this one is in town so I get to sleep in my own bed, but the days are longer and there is a bit of a commute, so pretty much my time at home is only meant for sleep.
This Sunday September 22nd was my first day off. I got home at 7:30 in the am and I had to be back on set at 8:00 in the am on Monday the 23rd. This meant I had to fit two sleep cycles within a 24 hour time period.
I decided to say, “fuck it,” and stopped at the grocery store to buy buffalo chicken nacho fixin’s and enough booze for two drinking cycles in case I wasn’t able to pull off the all nighter I was planning.
Again, this was the first 24 hours I had to myself so I didn’t want to waste a minute of it.
Right away I started on the drinks and nachos.
There's something that I love about starting to drink on a Sunday morning hours before most people even begin to think about getting out of bed.
As the food sat in the oven I sat at my computer trying to think of my angle for this week’s review.
That is when I fell into a YouTube hole where I watched a video of the Olsen twins singing about pizza, $5 Dollar Wrestling, that crazy Chipotle commercial, and a video of cats knocking shit off of tables.
I’m kind of fuzzy on all the steps that lead to this, but I was well fed, medicated enough to watch cat videos, and had enough blood of Christ running through me that I thought it would be a good idea to listen a Book of Revelations audiobook that I found while in that YouTube hole.
I remember having memories at the time.
Being that Southland Tales is supposed to be a retelling of the Book of Revelations I figured I would take notes for things to look out for when I watched the movie.
I don’t know if it was the bible talk or the booze, but I failed so hard at cyphering this tale of the end of days.
I did wake up to some notes!
(So you know I usually have a good memory so my note taking hand writing is super sloppy and my notes usually consist of key words and sentences meant to trigger the memories that I need.)
Let’s see if you can figure out where I blacked out!
- I am alpha and omega, the fist and the last. (I wonder if this has anything to do with, “I am a pimp and pimps don’t commit suicide?)
- 7 candle sticks… 7 stars… 7 angles… 7 churches… (There sure are a lot of 7s in this book. I guess I’ll have to start counting things in Southland Tales.)
I have no idea what these pages of notes even mean.
- Eating of the tree of life.
- These things say is the…
- But now are rich.
- Half an ear.
- A name.
- Jesse is of a potter.
- I wilt come on thee like a thief.
- I will not block out his name.
- Ear talk again.
- New Jerusalem.
- Shut it (not sure what words I wrote here) and open (more illegible handwriting.)
- New Jerusalem.
- New name.
- Lay autisians (?)
- Thou aren’t cold nor not blah, bha, blah.
- 7 is a big deal.
- Lots of beats not one 6 headed beast.
- There’s a Book of the Power
- There are four elders and four good angels… or something.
- Red horse = red ball.
- Four Horse men four colors of orbs.
- All the powerful cowards hid.
- There’s some kind of sensor.
- The angels kind of remind me of the upu officers.
- Key to pit… open pit.
- Don’t hurt green.
- Angel trumpet.
- (It looks like) Folar angels.
- We’re on chapter 9, I see no connection maybe I don’t get the language.
- Opondoth (?)
- Give me the little book…
I can’t read my own writing at all any more.
- (Something, something, something) revelations ad transcribed it, liked it.
- (A bunch of illegible words that have been crossed out.)
- Right hand.
- The dragon man child.
- 7 headed dragon.
- Dragon was going to devour a child… Mandy Moore’s?
- Don’t see seven headed dragon unless Booger belongs to the seven heads.
- The man child Seann William Scott?
- Is BOR
- He stood on sand, sand maze beast no beast (a word that looks like gnovells.
- See an should go here but now (? That’s what it looks like, but I know that’s not what it says.)
- He that kills with sword killed by sword.
So that’s apparently what I thought about the Book of Revelations.
I’m not fully sure whether or not I made it through the whole reading, but when I woke up at 7:30 in the pm I fired up Southland Tales without any memories of what I was supposed to keep an eye out for.
So even though I failed to put together a coherent, researched review, whether or not I gain any new insights for the film, Southland Tales viewing days have become the most fun/eventful day of the week for me.
I have a feeling next week’s review is going to be just as rushed. I’ll be just as exhausted and at a loss for what my angle will be, minus time to do the reviews that I really want, but I also know that I’ll figure something out, and I’m sure it’ll be fun.
Can’t wait to see what happens!
See you then.